House Church Meeting 03 – Purpose: Fellowship – Experiencing And Sharing God’s Life Together
The purpose of a House Church is to live life together, not just have meetings. The only agenda for each house church is to have Jesus in its midst. Take these ideas as a starting point and do what you need to do to achieve the aim.
Warmth (Fellowship) [20 min]:
- Refreshments: Serve some light refreshments for the attenders (perhaps one sweet and one healthy) and some tea, coffee and juice.
- Connect: Spend some time “catching up” and finding out how people are doing.
- Ice Breaker (if needed): Have each person share their nickname, if they have one, and the history behind their nickname. Do they have nicknames for their spouse/children?
Warmth (Fellowship) [60 min]:
- Supper: Gather for a “pot-luck / pot-bless” supper. Eat together, share together, laugh together, and be amazed at each others’ cooking talents.
Worship [25 min]:
- Said Worship: Ask each person in the group to quickly describe one friend they have, and what they appreciate about that friend. Then have them thank God for that friend.
- Sung Worship: Sing a couple of worship songs, allowing lots of time for spontaneous prayers of thanksgiving, worship, and intercession for the lost.
- Song 1: We Are The People Of The Lord – Robert Gay
- Song 2: Break Dividing Walls – David Ruis
Word / Discipleship [45 min]:
- Review Vision For House Churches
- House Churches are a place to experience Christ together, through:
- Worship – Focusing on Jesus at the centre as we gather together.
- Fellowship – Experiencing and sharing God’s Life together.
- Ministry – Serving one another in love using our gifts.
- Discipleship – Applying God’ Word together to grow and become like Jesus.
- Evangelism – Reaching out to others together with God’s love.
- Introduce The Topic
- Ask: What does the word “Fellowship” mean to you?
- [Responses: Fellowship is not just being “social”. Fellowship is friendship, sharing, being relational, “two fellows in the same ship going in the same direction”, the people of the Book, “The Fellowship”, comrades, coming into agreement, sharing something in common, enjoying each other, and being accountable and transparent to each other.]
- Read God’s Word And Enlist Insights From The Group
- 1 John 3:16-18, NLT – (16) We know what real love is because Jesus gave up His life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters. (17) If someone has enough money to live well and sees a brother or sister in need but shows no compassion — how can God’s love be in that person? (18) Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions.
- [Responses: Real love is to go further than just praying for each other. We need to love with actions and truth, not just with words. We should go above and beyond to help, and accessible. We should be willing to lay down our priorities for someone else, to get off the throne of our lives and be concerned for the other person. Love is being able to say no to someone and avoid being a people-pleaser. Love is taking the time to get to know the person well enough to know their needs. At the same time, we should respect the person’s choice on how to do something, and respect the person’s boundaries. We should help the person where they are at, not where you think they are. Therefore we need to let them tell us what they need, and not just assume we know. We should bear with one another with patience, and refuse to exercise authority over the person that we don’t have. Our motivation should be to help, not manipulate, and there should be “no strings attached”. We should have empathy, not pity, and try to align our emotions with the other person. If we need to correct, we must correct with respect and love for the person, and also be willing to accept correction from them without anger.]
- 1 Thessalonians 3:12, NIV – (12) May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you.
- [Responses: We can’t love adequately by ourselves, we need the Lord’s help. Our love needs to overflow, so we need to seek and be full of God’s love. We need to develop a chain or network of love between believers and God that flows constantly out to other people. Our love must mature into unconditional love. We should cultivate a daily awareness of God’s love that can pass on to others and which will flow back to God. We must understand that God’s love is infinite and more than enough to cover everyone. His love never runs out. We need to learn how to love everyone equally, which is God’s “agape” love. There are other types of love, such as “phileo” love, “eros” love and “storge” love, but “agape” is to be our foundational love, because it is God’s love and it will purify our other loves. When our love is tested, we may experience pain, but if we persevere, we will develop a deeper love that more closely resembles “agape” love. God’s love starts where our love finishes, and so He completes our love. Where our love stops short, His love will go to the end.]
- Hebrews 10:24-25, LITV – (24) And let us consider one another, to incitement of love and of good works, (25) not forsaking the assembling together of ourselves, as is the custom of some, but exhorting, and by so much more as you see the Day drawing near.
- [Responses: .]
- 1 John 4:7, NIV – (7) Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God.
- [Responses: .]
- What things make you feel well loved? What things make you feel unloved? How does feeling loved help you to be open and honest?
- [Responses: When people take the time to get to know me, they follow through on their promises to me, they are “present” in a conversation with me, they want to spend time with me, they meet one of my needs, they are kind, respectful, patient, transparent, and intentional with me, and when they just really listen to me, and take the time to communicate with me.]
- [Additional Thoughts: How do I communicate to someone else how I want to be loved? There are five love languages, have I taken the time to discover what the other person’s love language is? We should learn people’s normal behavior so that when there is something wrong, we will notice it, and then can go to them and minister to them. This doesn’t mean that we love other people less. It just means that sometimes, a person’s need will temporarily exceed the needs of the others. As Christians, we need to extend an atmosphere of love to others, even if the atmosphere in the room is negative.]
- Break into groups of 2, and share one thing that you appreciate about the other person.
- Pray for each other, that God would bless them.
Witness / Evangelism [15 min]:
- Discuss: How can you show love and encouragement to your friendships?
- Pray: For opportunities this week to be loving and encouraging to the lost.
- Challenge: Jesus says that our especially loving community will have an impact on unbelievers. If God is asking us to be marked out by our love for one another, how can we achieve this in our House Church?
- Give out 3 House Church invitations to be passed on to others.
Works / Ministry [10 min]:
- Break into groups of two, share a need with each other, and pray for each other.